When I say hot, I mean REALLY HOT and I don’t just mean the prices. It’s no secret that Arizona boasts some of the hottest summer temperatures in the US. This being my first full summer hear, I am beginning to wonder what God was thinking. Perhaps, He just wants to keep us all in line, thinking that if its this hot here, we’ll do anything to stay on the right side of hell 🙂
Some people (my wife) truly love the heat, and some (me) enjoy the scenery from a nice office window or from an air-conditioned car. The upside is that nearly everywhere you go, you will find swimming pools teeming with crystal clear blue water, and many have the accompanying picturesque rock water falls. We spent much of yesterday in one of those which made it much more bearable, in fact, I was amazed that 114 degree air actually feels cold against a wet body.
All things considered, more people than not choose to vacation in Arizona in times other than the summer months. This leaves the local hotels a bit on the lean side. The good news for both Arizona residents and those brace enough to visit during the peak heat is that you can get some excellent summer deals at many of the luxury hotels in Phoenix and surrounding regions. I have provided a list, starting with the hotels that I have personally visited:
Arizona Grand Resort
– This was where my wife and I stayed for our honeymoon (back when it was called The Point and South Mountain.) The honeymoon package is awesome if somehow you find yourself getting married in AZ. The service was outstanding and the golf course looked amazing. We will definitely go back just for a weekend getaway
Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa
– This hotel features one of the country’s only 5 Star restaurants and happens to be located next to the Wild Horses Pass Casino, for your gaming pleasure.
Chaparral Suites Resort
– A local resort, ideal for a weekend getaway. There is more than meets the eye and this hotel is one of those “best kept secrets” that your travel agent may not know about. When we moved here last year, we took advantage of the summer special and just spent the weekend there even though we lived just a few miles away.
– This is where the elite travelers stay, and although they boast rooms in excess of several thousand dollars per night, they do have summer specials. Oh yeah, and the Sunday brunch buffet is highly recommended.
The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa
– A very classy hotel, with all of the amenities you would want – including a library.
I have not personally stayed in the following hotel (although I have visited most of them) and I have found them to be pretty amazing properties.
One thing to keep in mind is that some of these offer specials to all visitors, and some will offer even better deals to locals just to try and get them to stay a night or so when they don’t really need to, so if you live in the Phoenix area, make sure to ask about summer hotel specials for locals.
Let me know how you enjoy your trip by coming back and posting a comment or a review.